If you are unable to sign in the presence of a Hungarian consul or live far from any Hungarian representations, you have the possibility to have your signature legalized by a notary public, and then have the notary public's signature and seal authenticated by the competent Hungarian representation. Should you choose this way, please send to the Embassy the further documents:

  • copy of your valid ID with photo (passport, photocard or driver’s licence); as far as possible the same one presented to the notary public
  • self-addressed prepaid return envelope (registered post B4 or B5 size)
  • your notarized document including your signature and the notary public’s seal and signature
  • fees paid by money order addressed to the Embassy

Fees must be paid per seal of notary public.

The chosen notary public must be registered at the Hungarian Embassy. The list of notary publics registered with us is on the website. Your are free to choose any other notary public, but if she/he is not on the list, then she/he must complete the following registration sheet and then attach to it a copy of her/his commission. Registration sheet and attached commission should be posted with the aforementioned documents to the Consular Section.

For your information, we are not affiliated, nor have exclusivity contract with any of the notary publics on the list. The list only indicates that the Embassy of Hungary has already received documents from those notary publics appearing on the list.

If it is necessary and requested, this legalization way can be implemented when applying for:

  • a replacement of Hungarian certificates (birth, marriage, death)
  • a Hungarian certificate of good character.

Please note in these cases authentication of the notary public made by the Emabassy must be paid as well.

We DO NOT accept attestations of JPs (Justice of the Peace).