It is the right of every Hungarian citizen to have a passport. Validity of such documents depends on the applicant's age at the time of application. As a general rule, all passport applications must be submitted in person. When applying for passport, Hungarian consular officer checks your Hungarian citizenship and your identity. Applicants over 12 years of age are required by law to provide fingerprints, biometric electronic signatures and facial photos. If there is a change in the family/marital status of the applicant (e.g. marriage or divorce), at the time of the passport application this has to be reported as well! These supplementary applications can be processed at the same time.
A Hungarian citizen can apply for a Hungarian passport in possession of a valid proof of citizenship. In the absence of documents listed below or an active record in the electronic Database of Personal Details and Addresses of Hungarian Citizens, the applicant must undergo a citizenship verification process prior to being issued a passport. You can find more information on this process under Hungarian citizenship. Please be advised that birth certificate issued in Hungary does not verify Hungarian citizenship, including only the factual details of birth.
Validity of passport:
- under 6 years of age: 3 years
- 6-18 years of age: 5 years
- over 18 years of age: 5 or 10 years by request.
Collection of produced passport:
- mailing to Hungarian address
- mailing to Australian address
- picking up in person in Hungary
- picking up in person at the Hungarian Embassy in Canberra
- forwarding to a Hungarian mission based other location than Canberra.
Passport applications are forwarded electronically by the Embassy but produced in Hungary by the competent authority. The average timeframe of receiving passports from Hungary via diplomatic post is 1-2 months. There is no fast-track service at Hungarian missions.
If your contact details (address, phone number, email address) has been changed after submitting passport applicaton, please inform our mission about the new contact details as soon as possible.
We kindly ask all applicants to bring the following documents (should they have them):
- documents proving Hungarian citizenship (e. g. valid Hungarian passport, Hungarian passport expired within a year, Hungarian naturalization documents, valid Hungarian ID card or citizenship certification)
- other type of valid ID, passport, photocard or student card if having an expired Hungarian passport
- Hungarian birth and marriage certificates (not Hungarian translations!)
- Hungarian address card (if applicable)
- Hungarian name change document (if applicable)
- parental consents in case of minors’ applications
- parents’ valid passports or other IDs in case of minors’ applications
- police report and reference number in case of stolen Hungarian passport
Applications of minors and persons under guardianship can be submitted by the parents (legal guardians). The minors’ applications under 12 years of age do not require personal appearance of the child. The parents are required to bring two passport size photos of good quality, not older than 6 months. As a general rule, when applying for a passport for a minor, both parents have to be present. The presence of one parent (legal guardian) is sufficient if the other parent has given his/her prior consent to the application by filling out the parental consent form and signing it in front of a notary public, consular officer, honorary consul or Passport Authority in Hungary. If parental custody is exercised by only one parent, this fact must be proved by an appropriate document (final court decision, court-approved settlement of the parents, death certificate of the deceased parent, etc.).