APPLYING FOR A CERTIFICATE OF GOOD CHARACTER
- Please complete both pages of the application form. If you apply in person, you should present your valid ID card or passport when lodging the application.
- If you apply by post you should visit a Hungarian honorary consul or an Australian notary public who checks your identity and legalises your signature. If you request for the assistance of a notary public please note that the Embassy can accept legalisations only from those notary publics whose samples of seal and signature are in possession of the Embassy. (You can find the list of notary publics on our website.)
- If you submit your application by post, the consular fee should be sent by money order payable to the Embassy of Hungary.
- Hungarian certificate of good character (aka certificate of good conduct, police check) is automatically issued in Hungarian. Should you request a legalised translation of the Hungarian document to English, an additional fee is applicable.
- The procedure takes about 1 week as a general rule.
- Please enclose a self-addressed, prepaid envelope.
- Certificate of good character issued by Hungary is valid for 90 days.