How can I apply for a certificate?

You can apply for a birth/marriage/death certificate in person at the nearest Consular Office or Honorary Consul.

All procedures at Consular Offices require an appointment. Kindly note that we are unable to attend to clients who arrive without a booking. 

To schedule an appointment please click here:  


How much does it cost to obtain a certificate?

The procedure is free of charge.


What kind of certificates can I obtain?

Only certificates that record a civil status event taking place in the current territory of Hungary can be applied for at Hungarian Consular Offices.

Compulsory state registration has been in place since 1895 before which civil status events were recorded by parishes.


For each civil status event it is necessary to have accurate knowledge of the following data:

  • Full name at birth
  • The exact place and date of birth (year, month, day), and in the case of Budapest, the district number
  • Mother's full maiden name
  • Full name of father


What forms do I need to fill out?

Forms can be found at the bottom of this page.

Please fill out the application form by computer or with a blue ink pen in block/capital letters. Purpose of requesting the certificate has to be indicated on the form and forms need to be signed in front of the Consul.


What documents do I need to bring with me?

If applying for your own certificate or that of your child under the age of 18 you must provide a valid identity document.

In case of applying for a certificate of someone else you must present the document justifying the application (e.g. certificate of relationship) and a power of attorney from the person concerned:

The signature on the power of attorney has to be legalized by a Hungarian consular officer of by a Hungarian honorary consul or by a Hungarian notary public. The original power of attorney must be brought in for the appointment.

To obtain a certificate of a deceased person a copy of the death certificate is required.