You can have the decease of a Hungarian citizen registered abroad through our foreign mission.

Who can apply for the procedure

The application can be submitted by anyone.

The condition for submitting the application is that the applicant must prove the Hungarian citizenship of the deceased person, at the time of the death as well as at the time of submitting the application.

How to apply

The application may only be submitted in person.

Documents to be submitted

  • The original death certificate. If the death occurred in a country other than the Australia, you might need to get an Apostille or diplomatic legalisation from the country of death.
  • The applicants must present their identity documents (passport, driver license, photo card).
  • Hungarian passport, ID card, driver’s license and address card of the deceased. These need to be invalidated by the relevant Hungarian authority. Upon request, the passport and the ID card can be given back after the process.
  • Hungarian birth certificate of the deceased (or a copy of it).
  • Documents proving the family status at the time of death (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or death certificate of the deceased spouse), except if the deceased had never married.
  • If relevant: Hungarian citizenship certificate, naturalization document of the deceased.

Translation of the documents

There is no need for translation: 

  • if the death certificate is issued in English, German or French language;
  • OR, if the marriage certificate is issued by other countries in two or more languages if one of them is English, German, or French.

If the death certificate is issued in a different language, a legal translation should be presented:

Consular fee

The registration of death is free of charge.

If you have any questions, please contact our consulates!


9. Registration of death