General Data Protection Regulation

Visa Information System

Schengen Information System


1. Enter Hungary and the Schengen Area on Australian passports

Citizens of Australia, Kiribati, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu can enter the Schengen area including Hungary as tourists, visitors or for business purpose without needing a visa for a maximum stay of 90 days within a 180 days period. Australia may have concluded a bilateral agreement with one or more Schengen countries, allowing you to stay longer than 90 days within 180 days in those countries.

The following countries are parts of the Schengen Area: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Please be aware that not all countries of the European Union are parts of the Schengen Area. In addition, few countries of the Schengen Area do not belong to the European Union.


2. Enter Hungary on other passports

Due to a visa agreement in power between Switzerland and Hungary the Consulate General of Switzerland in Sydney is competent to issue Schengen visas if you are required to obtain a Schengen visa and your main destination is Hungary in the Schengen Area. In case of having a valid Australian residence permit please turn directly to the Swiss Consulate to submit your visa application in person. Staying in Australia on an Australian tourist visa allowing you to stay not longer than three months, as a general rule you should lodge your Schengen visa application at the Hungarian mission based in your home country. Short term Schengen visas (also called visa C) allow the holder to move freely within the entire Schengen area, provided that the person does not engage in a gainful activity.

Consulate General of Switzerland, Sydney (101 Grafton Street Cnr, Grosvenor Street Tower 2, Level 23, Bondi Junction 2022) Tel: +61 2 8383 4000; email:

For further information on lodgement and visa requirements at the Swiss Consulate:


3. Residence permit in Hungary

Residence permits (also called Long term visas or visa D) are generally linked to a specific purpose (e.g. study, work, family reunion) and entitle the holder to remain in Hungary for an extended period of time. Applications for Hungarian residence permits can be lodged in Australia exclusively at the Hungarian Embassy in Canberra, in person.

For further information on types of Hungarian residence permits please follow the website of the Immigration and Asylum Office of Hungary.

A new Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) arrangement between Australia and Hungary commenced on 1 January 2017 and applications can now be lodged. This arrangement allow up to 200 young Hungarians per year to have an extended holiday of up to 12 months in Australia, during which they can undertake short-term work and study. As reciprocal this arrangement allows for the same number of young Australians to work and holiday in Hungary.

For further information on submitting WHS application please visit the following website: